SBC is a thriving, contemporary church that’s full of people of all ages and backgrounds. We welcome everyone!
Our aim is to bring glory to God as we apply His Word (the Bible), in the power of the Holy Spirit, to every aspect of our lives, words and actions. Simply put, we want to be a beacon of God’s love in Shirley and beyond.
Our strapline of Passion for God, Compassion for People reflects this - and is this worked out practically as follows:
Welcome – shown to everyone who comes through our doors
Love – reflecting the unconditional love that Jesus lavishes on us
Challenge – aligning our lives under the spotlight of His Word
Grow – recognising that we are all on a life-long journey of being transformed into the likeness of Jesus
SBC is affiliated to the Baptist Union of Great Britain and is a member of the Evangelical Alliance.
SBC can trace its roots back 225 years! The first recorded Baptist worship in Shirley took place in 1797 when a group from Cannon Street Baptist Church in Birmingham held meetings in a former pub on the corner of what is now Stratford Road and Olton Road.
The current church building was constructed in 1910, funded by Mr and Mrs Robert Braithwaite, in memory of Mrs Braithwaite's parents, Mr and Mrs Guy. For that reason, the church is officially known as the Guy Memorial Chapel.
In 2013, new purpose-built facilities facing the pedestrianised area of Parkgate were opened. These included new offices and meeting rooms, a sports hall and other large halls, plus Kairos Coffee and the Family Support Centre.